Friday, March 6, 2015

How Jesus Calls Us To Love

Love is the motivating power in all our relationships, without love there is nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:2
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Jesus places a lot of emphasis on love in the bible. When we chose to have a relationship with Jesus we chose to love him, but we also chose to love others unconditionally because that is what he calls us to do. It is a commitment and when we chose to do this we are being obedient.  Jesus says if we love him he will show Himself to us.

John 13:34-45
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

When we show unconditional love to others it shows Jesus we are his disciples. It can be hard to love like Jesus loves. When people chose not to accept your love, are mean, abusive, ect. Love Love Love.
This isn't picked up overnight, this has to be intentional and is an action not a natural reaction, because of our sinful nature we are born with it is not our first instinct. But by spending time with God that can change. Think about when you spend a lot of time with someone, you start to pick up their mannerisms or accent or anything like that. It really does happen. Same with Jesus. We can't just say we love him and expect us to naturally love others especially when they hurt us. We need to spend time with Jesus and digging into his word so we can learn how he acted and let them become part of who we are.

In John 21 Jesus is talking to Simon Peter.
John 21:15
"Simon son of John do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes," Lord he said, "you know that I love you. Jesus said, "Feed my lambs"

John 21:16
Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

John 21:17
The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things, you know that I love you."

We show Jesus we love him by being obedient and he calls us to love unconditionally and take care of his people (sheep).

prayer:
Lord, help us to reflect the life you've lived by loving unconditionally, loving those who love us, and those who hurt us. To shine your light and be a disciple for you.
Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment